Jun 5, 2013

Budgeting Made Friendly

Are you a spender or a miser?

I’m more of the former. I admit it, I’m bad at budgeting. Just the mere mention of it makes me cringe (yes, I’m not a huge fan of numbers).

Worse, I’m an impulsive buyer. I’m a member of the ‘One Day Millionaire Club’. And in time…gadgets depreciated, clothes tattered, and stuffs wasted. And I ended up saving nothing. Poor me, I let hard-earned money slip away that easy. With all the hard work, I’m penniless. How ironic.

But that was before. I’ve changed now. I realized that I have to learn budgeting to avoid personal financial crisis. I know I have to start early or else I’ll be penniless for the rest of my life.

How did I start? First, I set realistic financial goals. I list down the things I want to achieve and possess. I made them my inspiration. Then, I listed down my income and expenses in the previous months. Next, I separated essential expenses (food, house, electricity, internet, transportation, clothes, and other bills) from impulsive. Looking at the figures, I have cut a considerable amount from my usual expenses. From there, I started a budget I can live with. I prioritized my necessities. Finally, I looked forward to the future. If there are upcoming events in my life, I include the expenses to my budgeting. That way, it will not destroy my goals.



I have eventually learned to make budgeting friendly. The friendliest (also the simplest) budgeting for me is the 20-80, where 20% is set aside for savings (or paying off debts, if any) and the rest is spent on all other expenses.

There could be several friendly budgeting ways out there. You just have to choose what works for you. Believe me, it’s a small step that can give you peace of mind and success.


Once in a while, I pamper myself, spend, and celebrate. But I will never revert to being a shopaholic. I’m not saying “I'm now a scrooge” but I'm definitely more responsible financially. I know my future depends on how well I manage my income. I hope more people will realize it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment